Monday, November 12, 2012

The Appeal of Children Literature

This week's selections reminded me of how expansive the umbrella for Children's Literature is.  Over the last several weeks we have read and discussed what may be described as classical children's literature.  But as the weeks rolled by, I've found myself increasingly asking, 'What exactly constitutes Children's Literature?'  So, I set out in search of a definitive answer.  I began my search the old fashion way and consulted my favorite dictionary, my Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, copyright 1973, for a working definition.  I always understood that literature in the archaic sense refers to "literary culture", but while the definition is substantive, it is problematic in scope.  I decided that I would settle on the 'a' part of the third definition and adopt it as my working definiton for the purpose of the tasks set before me.  So here it goes,  literature is "writings in prose or verse; esp: writing having excellence of form or expresssion and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest".   I'm thrilled with this definition.  It helps me to better conceptualize the appeal of two children's classics-The Cat In the Hat and Where the Wild Things Are.
Although it may cause me some ridicule, I'll be very honest, I never particularly liked The Cat In The Hat (I am a fan of Dr. Seuss of course, just not this book).  As a former Education Major, I recognize the book for its genius, in that it is an excellent tool to teach beginning readers vocabulary, about rhyme, and even older students about omniscient narrators.  However, I always read this book and questioned why the children seemed to be unattended for so long.  Now as I think about it, I'm sort of reminded of Harriet the Spy, which leads me to a different point , chaos results when children are left to their own devices.  Anyway, as an English Major, I at least see the appeal of the book.  When I reread it along with Where the Wild Things Are, I better appreciate it's appeal as a picture book.  Reviewed in this context, I more fully understand that the illustrations too, are a feat of skill.  The illustrations for these two books leave a permanent impression on the readers mind.  Literally, the cat in the hat looks unlike any cat i've ever seen, yet the image is immediately evolked by the title alone.  On the other hand, I always liked Where the Wild Things Are.  The book is totally relatable.  This book teaches internal and external conflict to children.  Most have had issues with a parent and dealt with their own anger.  But it is the pictures in this book that I believe help reconcile the conflict.  So, the appeal, well I'd have to say, each book expresses "excellence of form" in art and treats children as they naturally are, curious and full of the same emotions as every other person.

1 comment:

  1. I had never thought of "The Cat in the Hat" in the sense that, when adults are away chaos will ensue. I did like the points you brought up on the educational development that these books help children with. It was also interesting that you brought up how "Where the Wild Things Are" helped children with internal and external conflict. That never crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete